Friday, February 23, 2018

a Great example - Dale and Naomi Davis

Lately the flu that has gone around and ultimately took the life of my father in law, Dale Davis.  It was not quite that simple as he had the flu, double pneumonia, congestive heart failure and some kidney problems plus he was 90 years old.

As you know I always have a side story to interject.  Pneumonia was a mystery to me when Mrs. Shumate asked us to spell it on a test and I never forgot that Jim Heath and Joy Frank (number six of the Grainola Grubers) both spelled it correctly.  How was I to know that there was a silent 'P' on the dad-gummed word!  Who ever came up with that stupid idea?  Oh well, some things you just can't fix.  Back to Dale.

Dale was a great patriarch and had 48 family members (folks) and I think if i took the time it was a total of 50 with the two new ones in the family.  They were in the ICU and his grandson Daryl Davis brought in the guitars and Naomi (his wife) had crawled in the bed and took a nap until the music started.  Yes, in the ICU and the doctor said it was a first and it was also his ticket out of ICU.  It was a turning point and we all thought he would be home to El Reno soon, but that never happened.  He did go home but it was to his heavenly home.

He grew up a farm boy outside of Stuart, Oklahoma where music was a constant and TV was not.  But what was amazing is that from the very first time I met him until he passed he played any stringed instrument by ear and he taught every child and grandchild the love of music.  I would say he leaned toward old time county, like Bob Wills and many others, plus old time gospel.  I can honestly say not one time did I go to his house was there not guitars and piano and mandolin music played either in the garage before they moved or the living room in the new house.  Music was more important than football on Sunday afternoon or Monday night.  By the way  in case you do not know it, Stuart is close to Ashland where Naomi grew up which is on the way to Kiowa which is known for its high school graduate, Reba McEntire and yes Dale did play music with Reba when she was a little girl.  Reba would come up to the local meeting place in Kiowa and sing with all those who gathered.  I should also mention that Shouna (my wife) had a granddad (Naomi's dad) who played the fiddle until he was 103 and that ended only because he passed away.  He was also one of the Kiowa musicians.  For such a small town it sure had a lot of talent.

As a tribute to Dale and Naomi, I have to say the most wonderful thing about them is everyone in their family, that is old enough to know about Jesus, has heard the testimony of  NOT Dale and Naomi's words but their actions.  They served and served until they could serve no more and then served even more.  What a testimony!

Thanks for being a great father in law and mother in law (outlaws as I called them).

So what do you learn in the Osage?

  • Life is not about the words you speak but about how you live your life
  • The biggest lie I ever heard was, "sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me".
  • Quiet and deliberate behavior speaks louder than any words 
Thanks for listening,
gary@thepioneerman.com

No comments: