Thursday, April 13, 2017

Easter Egg Hunt in the Osage

Obviously Easter is not about bunnies and hunting eggs but it was a heck of a lot of fun growing up hunting and coloring Easter Eggs.  What was your favorite part ?  Here is a side note:  go to mylifelegacy.com and start writing your story.  Well I have to say I loved coloring Easter eggs and my sister was the gasoline that ignited that fire.  Another way of saying that is she was the energy behind the coming of Easter and all its trimmings.  She taught me to love coloring those eggs and I especially remember the WAX pencil that allowed you to write on an egg and after coloring it your name or message would pop out.  Now for me, I am the guy who always wonders who thought of that.  It was such a great idea.  I also remember folks like Joy Frank who was particularly talented and artsie ( that is a derogative word from a jealous or less talented person like me) who brought her colored eggs to school and they were really cool. 

Now the second best part of Easter (when I was a child assuming I have grown up) was the HUNT.  I was always bigger and faster (due to my size not quickness) and I would always be very competitive at getting the most eggs.  Now most of you youngens (yes, that is a word because I learned it as a child in Grainola) eggs were not always plastic and broke into two parts and were filled with candy and money.  NOPE, ours were real eggs, chicken eggs for the most part.  At the end of each Easter we had the best deviled eggs you can imagine and I have no why you take an Easter egg which represents the beginning of life and Christ and call it a deviled egg, strange?   However I do remember Eddie Harris on occasion would bring a goose egg that was about 3 or 4 times bigger than a chicken egg.  I don't remember how old I was when someone brought in those plastic eggs but it was late in my childhood experience.  The best part of our egg hunts was that literally every child in and around Grainola (yes, Oklahoma) came for the hunts.  We had them in school and after school and at church and it did not matter who you were or what color your skin or what your economic status or even your church affiliation and even if you did not have a church affiliation you came with an Easter basket  and fire in your eye to compete.  Sure there were winners and losers but pretty much everyone got at least a few eggs.  I don't know how the parents made sure but they did.  For us Fabulous Four (Jimmy, Hugh Allen, Jon Tanny and me) we always had a great time.  We competed with all ages and of course as we got older we did better but I consider those as learning experiences.  I remember competing against my brother Larry who was four years older and my cousin Bill Snyder (son of Gladys) and Billy Don Head (Head country BBQ family) and Joe Conner (smart and Eagle Scout) and Jay Olsen (not a bad guy but a smart elic sometimes) Glen McConaghy, Dee Johnson and the list goes on and on.  Oh ya, there were girls in the race.

And then of course there was Sunday Church.  Generally the girls would have new dresses and the guys would have new Levis or maybe a pair of slacks or a new set of shoes.  We never did it very many times but a few times we would have sunrise church services and they were good and bad.  The bad was we had to get up in the dark and be out on a hill top in the Osage before daylight.  The good and I can say great is we watched the sun come up and there were typically three crosses on the hillside with the sun coming up and symbolically THE SON came up as well.  Those were GREAT moments and impactful for my entire life.

Wow, great memories and here is a final thought:

                 ETERNAL LIFE (GRACE) IS NOT FREE, IT WAS PAID FOR

Happy Easter 2017,
gary@thepioneerman.com








 

No comments: